Saturday, February 6, 2010

If Tomorrow Never Comes

'A couple of hundred years ago, Benjamin Franklin shared with the world the secret of his success. “Never leave that ‘till tomorrow”, he said, “which you could do today.” This is the man who discovered electricity.
You’d think more of us would listen to what he had to say. I don’t know why we put things off, but if I had to guess, I’d say it had a lot to do with fear. FEAR OF FAILURE... FEAR OF PAIN. FEAR OF REJECTION.
Sometimes the fear is just of making a decision, because what if you’re wrong? What if you make a mistake you can’t undo? Whatever it is we’re afraid of, one thing holds true: that by the time the pain of not doing the thing gets worse than the fear of doing it. It can feel like we’re carrying a huge tumor.

The early bird catches the worm.
A stitch in time saves nine.
He who hesitates is lost.

We can’t pretend we haven’t been told. We’ve all heard the proverbs, heard the philosophers, heard our grandparents warning us about the wasted time, heard the damn poets urging us to cease the day. Still sometimes we have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today’s possibility under tomorrow’s rug until we can’t anymore, until we finally understand for ourselves what Benjamin Franklin meant. That knowing is better than wondering, that waking is better than sleeping. And even the biggest failure, even THE WORST MOST INTRACTABLE MISTAKE BEATS THE HELL OUT OF NEVER TRYING.'

(GA, s01, ep06)

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I have some personal points of view , lets see what comes out ;).
    First of all sorry if I’ll make some mistakes, my english is not that perfect , but I’m working on it .
    Why do we postpone things, why are we not able to start the task , or make the decisions, now ?
    Well, I think of only two possibilities now:
    1. Laziness or ... my version : Example : I have cleaning and/or lots of other stuff to do , and I have a deadline 5 days from now . I’ll quickly examine the tasks make an estimative ‘to do time’ and ... start relaxing :)) ,well the deadline comes I have my things done (usually on the last minutes)... never failed , and noticed that ( *laughing* ) by putting things on late priority list sometimes they simply vanish! So ... if you want to act now then I sugest you putt youre tasks on full priority or make the deadline for tonight and things should start rolling ;).
    2. Second of all is , like you said, Fear of Failure, or Fear of Change, the fear that things will get worst or ... least better . This kind of judgment is found on persons who can’t see easily into the future(fear of ) or things are to complicated to find a way of dealing with them. Or like I stumbled on ... Why the ‘bleap’ should I chose between a bad thing and a les bad thing ... ? -people tend to stop here ... but I found a new way- when you can stand there and decide not to chose :)) . Making a decision involves being responsible for it ...I say why do you need another burden ? So dear Clementine , not taking a stance or not deciding is not that bad after all , but!!! Accepting it can be hard ... you do not need to eat broccoli every day to know how honey tastes ... only once is enough but never forget how bad it was ...
    I hope you understood my point of view , life is how you make it, how you want to see it, you make youre world , you are in charge! YOU!

    ReplyDelete