Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Today Is MY DAY!

'Congratulate me!
Today is MY DAY.
I'm off to Great Places!
I'm off and away!
I have brains in my head.
I have feet in my shoes
I can steer myself
any direction I choose.
...
OH!
THE PLACES I’LL GO!
I’ll be on my way up!
I’ll be seeing great sights!
I’ll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights.
...
I will come to a place where the streets are not marked.
Some windows are lighted. But mostly they’re darked.
A place I could sprain both my elbow and chin!
Do I dare to stay out? Do I dare to go in?
How much can I lose? How much can I win?
And IF I go in, should I turn left or right…
or right-and-three-quarters? Or, maybe, not quite?
Or go around back and sneak in from behind?
Simple it’s not, I’m afraid I will find,
for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.
I can get so confused
that I’ll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place…
…for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.
...
NO!
That's not for me!
...
Oh, the places I’ll go! There is fun to be done!
There are points to be scored. There are games to be won.
And the magical things I can do with that ball
will make me the winning-est winner of all.
Fame! I’ll be famous as famous can be,
with the whole wide world watching me win on TV.
Except when they don’t.
Because, sometimes, they won’t.
I’m afraid that some times
I’ll play lonely games too.
Games I can’t win
’cause I’ll play against myself.
All Alone!
Whether I like it or not,
Alone will be something
I’ll be quite a lot.
...
So…
be my name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O’Shea,
I’re off to Great Places!
Today is my day!
My mountain is waiting.
So… I'm on my way!'

(Cover made after Dr. Seuss' Oh, The Places You'll Go!)

No comments:

Post a Comment